One hour a day, for one more year. Making make-believe a priority.

Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Play

The last April Fool's Day that I remember playing a prank was when I was ten years old. I switched the salt and sugar, and I recollect my father was not a happy man when he took his first bite of cereal that morning. It haunts me. Thanks, Dad :)

But how can I in good conscience commit to being more playful and not play some pranks on April Fool's Day? What holiday is more playful than April Fool's Day? Labor Day? Arbor Day? Nah.

So last night the girls and I set up some pranks to surprise Patrick this morning. Including:



and



and



We topped it off with a bathtub filled with balloons.

But what they weren't expecting was this:



Ice cream mashed potatoes, peanut butter and coconut fish sticks, and candy peas and carrots. April Fool's!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a sweet dinner! And healthy.

Here’s a coincidence: two days after I found your blog, "Into the Tulgey Wood", Anne came downstairs all excited because she had just planted a tree in Scotland through a website she found. The next day I looked at the certificate she printed and saw that the trees were planted in Teaghlach Woods. Here the website: http://www.teaghlachwood.com/.

Anonymous said...

Also, something I didn’t have a chance to mention earlier is that when I first started spending time with Maya (her mom was ill and needed to rest and Maya wasn’t in school) I thought that I had to have structured activities for her. We had a great connection from the start but there was this sense of struggle. I relaxed more and eventually totally turned the reins over to her, especially when we were outside. Amazingly all the struggle vanished. I let go of needing to be in the grown up role, let myself play and suddenly we were just two people together. We were outside for two or three hours at a time in the winter completely happy, sledding and making houses under trees, gathering and “cooking food”, or just wandering through the forest. Anyway that’s why I can relate to your blog.

T. Greenwood said...

I love that :) And what a funny coincidence about the tree. I wonder if that's where Lewis Carroll got the name? I'll have to check my annotated Alice!