One hour a day, for one more year. Making make-believe a priority.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

In Defense of Play

Yesterday, the San Diego Union Tribune published an article about this project. With only a week remaining of our "Year of Living Playfully," it was a lovely tribute to everything I've been trying to do this year as well as my beliefs about parenting and (perhaps more importantly) about the preservation of the magic of childhood.

What I didn't expect were the nearly 75 comments following. And while many were articulate and supportive, others were judgmental, even hostile, making a whole lot of assumptions about not only me but my daughters as well. I refrained from commenting on the UT site, but I could not resist responding here...though I suspect most of those naysayers won't bother to actually look at the blog about which the article was written.

First of all, I have not read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. I am aware of the controversy, but this project was in no way a response to that book. I began this project because I wanted to be a better mom. It had nothing to do with Amy Chua. It, honestly, had nothing to do with anyone except for my daughters. I kept the blog because the mothers that I know and care about feel the same frustrations, and I thought this might provide some inspiration.

Next, a lot of those responding brought up economics. Some figured I must be wealthy with too much time on my hands. Another worried I might have all this time because I was relying on public assistance. Neither is true. And the beauty of this project is that it isn't about money. It's about time. Granted, because I work at home, I have what many perceive as more time to spend with my girls. And that is absolutely true. I do have more time to offer. But I am only talking about an hour a day. One hour out of twenty-four. A gift from me to my children -- just a sliver of my time. Isn't this something that all parents, rich or poor, at home or at work, should be able to find?

Also, what the article did not mention (because I did not tell the journalist) is that my daughters both excel in academics. The older has tested in the GATE program (the younger will be tested next year). They have both been recognized at their elementary school for leadership and academic excellence. They each have one extracurricular activity they have pursued since they were in pre-school (ballet and gymnastics respectively). We are not "soft" parents...not parents bulldozed by our whimsical children. There are rules in our house which promote respect, honesty, kindness, compassion, and hard work. There are immediate consequences when rules are broken. The girls have both rights and responsibilities in our home. Simply because I decided to interact more with my children, to allow their imaginations and creativity to flourish, does not mean that I stopped disciplining them. (I think these people are imagining some sort of feral kids running wild in our house!) It also doesn't mean we don't care about their academic education. I have two Masters degrees...of course I value education!

From an early entry in the blog:

Every creative impulse I have today I can directly attribute to my parents' encouragement of imaginative play when I was growing up. I remember writing my first "novel" when I was nine years old. My father was the one who dragged the clunky old electric typewriter out of the closet for me, plugged it in, and gave me paper. I wonder if I would have become a writer if he hadn't let me sit there banging out words on that typewriter instead of studying flashcards.

I make my children sit down every day after school and do their homework. I am the overseer of the homework packet, the iron fist of cut-n-paste. But if my husband and I expect to raise children who make and appreciate art, isn't it our responsibility to emphasize the value of their imaginations as well as the value of phonics and multiplication tables?

Lastly, I think the argument played out here is primarily about how we define "success." Here is what I know: Patrick and I are happy people. We have good friends, a close family, and jobs that we are proud of and love to go to every day. This is primarily due to the fact that our own parents supported our passions as kids and taught us the value of following our dreams. As a university instructor, I have taught the proverbial Tiger Moms' kids. They are disciplined, smart, talented, and driven. They will likely find lucrative careers. But they are also the ones whose dreams are not their own.

I am pleased that the article sparked a discussion, and hopefully even those whose gut-response was so negative stopped for a moment to think about the last time they sat down and played with their children.

8 comments:

Ashley Ludwig said...

Thank you for the reminder of taking a moment to appreciate the creative energy of our children. I encourage imaginative play in my daughters (5 & 7)--the best of times are when we surrender to the game, and just giggle.

Priceless moments.

~Ashley

grahamophone said...

Hi Tammy! I enjoyed getting reacquainted with you through the article and this blog, as well as reading your latest novel. Recently I had to censor a blog I had written because I had been misunderstood. It's really a shame when people make assumptions, but we have to recognize that they don't share out artistic vision, understand the "artist's way", and quite simply, are probably just a bit jealous of your happiness. I know I am. Just a bit ;-) Keep writing your words! Regards, Christy

Maggie May said...

I would completely disregard those commenters. One thing you learn when you have online presence is that open discussion boards following articles almost always have high volume negative comments. Those people are called 'trolls', quite fitting, don't you think :)

I am a San Diego writer and mother and was happy to find your blog. Spending an hour a day with your girls that way is wonderful, and classic advice from many child care experts. I remember when my second child was born my mother gave me the advice of a half hour a day with my older child, so that he didn't feel angry at the baby. 'Floor play' as it's called sometimes, is so important for bonding.

Mikaela Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T. Greenwood said...

Thanks everyone, your kind words are so appreciated. Now back to Play!

Jen C said...

Beautifully stated.

I'm thankful you did documented this and shared it with the world.

While I'm sure the comments on the UT piece were hurtful, they do illustrate where we've allowed ourselves to go as a society.

Your project is a brilliant example of what we can do to set it right.

Kathryn Peterson said...

I'm a little appalled that people would make such horrendous assumptions, but as several commenters have already pointed out, there are haters everywhere. It's just amazing that someone would "worry" about you spending so much time with your children. It makes me wonder who THOSE people are and why on earth they would put time and energy into commenting that way. Perhaps it's their guilt speaking? And of course those of us who have followed the blog from the beginning know you didn't do it in order to respond to the Tiger Mom.

Congratulations to you and your daughters on the year of living playfully. May you continue having such joy and love in your life.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! After we adopted a five-year-old, my wife and I committed to limiting organized over-activity. Our daughter has taken over as the major guardian of her time. When asked a few years ago about adding Girl Scouts to the church choir and being an altar server, she responded, "That would be too much! I would lose time with my books and playing by myself."

Now 14, she has a good sense of what a time commitment means, and seems skilled at rationing her time for friends, family, pets, and herself alone.

I suspect your daughters will be wiser for their experience with this.

Todd