One hour a day, for one more year. Making make-believe a priority.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Play it Again, Sam!

On March 28th, 2010 I made a resolution to play with my two daughters for one hour a day for one year. We had huge successes and cataclysmic failures. But mostly, we played. And, most importantly, I became aware of how very much my time means to them. I am not a perfect mom, by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But I am always trying to be the best mom I can be. On that note, it was simply too fun (and too important) to stop at one year, and so we will start again! Wahoo!

I think the emphasis will be on creative projects this time around. One thing I learned this year is that I, personally, engage more when the "play" revolves around some sort of creative activity: arts and crafts, cooking, writing. (Do you think Esmee will notice if I hide the Uncle Wiggly game??) I put together a "Play Book"...a place for us to keep our ideas. Kicky and I plan to write the book (about a little girl named Dizzy McPhee and her jazz musician dad) we've been dreaming and scheming to write. Esmee is also learning how to play Chess, and I vow to learn how to play with her. We will continue with theatre (after school and a two week summer camp). And we will make our annual road trip to Vermont...back into the real Tulgey Wood.

I hope you will all come along for the ride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, Someone from a totally other (than Vermont) part of my life posted an article about this blog on facebook. It's really wonderful to see and a bit poignant because I recently had a nine year old playmate who just returned to Israel. We enjoyed this kind of unstructured time, building fairy houses and houses under trees and just wandering. It was an amazing experience. She inspired me to paint fairy and mermaid paintings and to write a story about the mermaids. I think your "project" is really valuable and right on, and your girls seem amazing. Take care and congratulations.

T. Greenwood said...

Dave!!! It's only been about 25 years or so, right??? So, so happy to hear from you and even happier that you're still making art. Thanks so much for finding Tulgey Wood...and finding me!! Are you still in Vermont?